Thursday, June 12, 2008

Ben Stein to play Zaccheus in controversial adaptation


from today's Variety
(by Michael Phlegming)
...the dead-pan actor famous for his role in the hit comedy Ferris Bueller's Day Off as well as unforgettable cameos in TV classics such as Melrose Place and MacGyver is not put off by the script's call for the actor playing the short tax collector to strap his lower legs in braces and, in essence, spend the entire film walking on his knees.

A similar feat was accomplished by his screen hero Jose Ferrer in the original version of director John Huston's Moulin Rouge in 1952.
"They'll have special shoes for me," Stein enthused. "I feel this is a major break-through role for me, especially coming off Expelled, which, let's face it, wasn't the mega-blockbuster I was led to believe it would be."

The comedian paused to take a swig from his diet-iced tea. "To get in shape for the role I've been swimming a few extra laps in my pool without the body board. Mike Bay [the director] says I really need to have a fairly buffed upper body. I mean, he wants to make a statement right there."